Wednesday, January 23, 2008

There are certain types of people that, when they visit, you know it’s going to be a wild weekend. They come in with expectations of what New York can deliver, and you plan the events accordingly, namely that there will be great food, Broadway, and fun little places to hang out.

My childhood friend decided to pay me a visit. With him living in the area where I grew up (and me not) his visits, even here in New York, are something of a homecoming. Separately, one of the problems of having recently dropped out of a PhD program is that I have made friends with people still in grad school, with all their graduate school mentality. So when Josh decided to come up with his girlfriend (my former macro TA) I knew I was in for a wild time. AND they would both be here at the same time.

It is, honestly, a miracle that I survived this time together. When I picked diggerblue up at the airport we went back to my digs in Brooklyn where Josh and Olena were waiting for us. We went out for Asian fusion in the neighborhood for a great meal and drinks. Though Josh and Olena went home after, diggerblue and I had a chance to really hang out (until four in the morning).

The following day meant more fun in the city and we got tickets to see “The Homecoming,” a bizarre play by Pinter, followed by a themed afternoon of drinking in Times Square, Rockafeller Center, Grand Central and South Street Seaport (give me a break, we wanted to go to The Strand). That night we ended up at a piano bar in the village and sang and drank into the night. Sunday was rough. And with football on everyone’s mind we watched it with the good folks of Brooklyn before heading out to Sushi Samba for more drinks and dinner.

It was a fun weekend. I get used to hanging out at home and sometimes it takes guests to come in and remind me that there something better than THAT routine. But, dear God, I cannot afford such extravaganzas all the time.

It was fun while it lasted.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?