Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The holidays are finally totally behind me. Thank God. Family has come and gone, coordinating obligations among friends and family is complete (for better or worse) and I rang in the new year with virtually complete strangers. It all ended up without too much drama.

So 2008 brings me many things under my control, and hope to change:

1) Doing more with my closest friends and family. Recall my shunning Naomi for Thanksgiving, not visiting everyone for Christmas when I was in town, not going to Cali except for Christmas, and being, well, a little too aloof.
2) Learning a new language. This is perhaps less noble. I want to learn Italian. So I’m going to be taking some courses. (This is motivated by the opera, of course.)
3) Saving more money. Moving out to Brooklyn has its financial advantages, which I wish I could realize more of.
4) Embracing Brooklyn socially. Manhattan has continued to be a social hub. I need to start growing some new roots here.

None are trivial; I’m certain to fail at most. But if I can down one, I’m happy. Keep the hopes high and expectations low (that’s the ticket).

Above all, most friends I have know parts of me. I love going to the opera, I love academics (economics) as well as having a good time. I’ve made opera and classical music friends, grad school friends and going out/child hood friends. The worlds seldom collide. I want to change that (I would throw in my romantic interests, but I may as well have set world peace as my resolution). Honestly, my non-classical/operatic friends are my closest, and I will never jeopardize them. Most of this is going to mean a sort-of house-cleaning: Separating the wheat from the chafe among the people in my life.

In 2008 I’m gonna get greedy.

Comments:
What can I say? You're the man.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?