Monday, September 17, 2007

BROOKLYN, NY

For all the years I’ve heard the term “Bridge and Tunnel” used in this city it’s never been in a nice way. You see, paying an astronomical amount of rent comes with certain rights: I live in the city and so and so is bridge and tunnel. In short, this means, I can afford roughly twice the amount of rent, don’t talk funny, am cultured, have cooler friends and pay more for designer clothing that comes shredded and worn out. Thank God I never used that term in that context because, starting Saturday, that would be what literary types call poetic justice.

As readers (reader??) of this blog know, recent rent increase have sickened me to the extent that I’ve decided to move out to Brooklyn. And no, not “cool” Brooklyn, with its views of lower Manhattan where artists and other bohemian-types live, I am talking cut-my-rent-in-half, hour-plus-subway-rides-into-Manhattan, lawn-furniture-and-ceramic-geese, way-the-fuck-out-there, near-the-Atlantic-Ocean Brooklyn.

I have to say there’s a liberating feeling after the move. For the time being, it means a real income boost that should allow me to save a hell of a lot more money, a good excuse not to do things with friends during the week, and to go in instead of staying out late. I’ve not look at the bright side only because I’d been pretty stressed out about details of the move: not having a deadbolt key, signing the lease, retaining movers, packing, etc., etc., etc.

Finally that dreaded day came over the weekend where I could have been locked out, had movers that never came, have rained cats and dogs, not have had enough boxes, movers getting lost to Bay Ridge, etc., etc., etc. To my suprise tt came, and, instead, it went off quietly, without any problems, went on-time, and ultimately under budget.

More about Brooklyn, and other things, to come. . .

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?