Saturday, June 23, 2007

All the bull shit about my new job aside, things seem to have settled in my life. The job is reasonable, and with these last couple of job changes I’m making the kind of money that I’m probably going to be at for a little while. So I’m left to have the time to reflect on me –what other things outside of work I can make better.

The first thing to do is to know what I want, which for me is something I think the last couple of years has given me some confidence in. The second is that I have the time and energy to do it, which I now do. Now this may sound like bull shit, and some probably is, but it’s time to share make some effort in getting out there and knowing people.

What am I doing about it?

Let’s just say it’s gay pride weekend and I’m at home on a Saturday night. So I’ve not made too much progress on that front. But as I write now, I’m trying to plot something out. I’m getting a little sick of going out to the same clubs, meeting the same people, and having the same outcome. (Someone once told me that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.)

I don’t look a gift horse in the mouth: I’ve made dear friends doing just that. But now I have to do some things that deviate from the norm. Going out from time to time, taking some chances, and exploring new venues.

I’ll keep you posted. We’ll see how these new ventures go. I’m not 100% sure what they all will look like but for the time being it’s going to include some more non-club activities such as joining some sort of sports league, continuing to pursue special groups of people in things I’m interested, especially the opera, and making sure there’s enough variation in what I do to at least make it possible.

“There is variation in everything. Variation creates all the interesting outcomes.” Lalith, a wise professor has hold me. He’s right. But I don’t want to make this whole effort antiseptic. It will be what I’m interested in, with the types of people I want to be with, and on my terms. At my age, that’s the only way anything new is going to happen.

Fortune favors the bold. I have to be more so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?