Saturday, May 26, 2007

So it’s been my first couple of weeks at the new job. Having come from the rather hard-core collections and call center world (that’s no joke) things are different. My third week, I walk into the elevator and hear two people talking:

“What are you wearing? Burberry. Very nice. Thank you.

And what seemed like niceties really were insults. I realized this when the person wearing the Burberry left.

“Ugh. Who wears Burberry? They are one of those designers like Chanel, where you can immediately tell. Always the same drab plaid, the same beige. ”

The person making the comment got off on the “Merchandising” floor, which is where the buyers reside. I’ve learning how the fashion industry now works.

You see, we sell self-esteem. Buyers pretty much plan out what the new colors, looks, and styles are going to be, often years in advance. Their job is to change the perception of what’s hip and what’s not. This is how fashion can change from, say, bellbottoms to stone-washed to whatever the hell you want to call the jeans we are wearing these days. Ideally this would change every season (this fall, I’ve heard, the new color is going to be silver).

The fashion magazines and high-end retailers call the shots. Fame is gotten through distribution in them, and you’ve pretty much got “The Devil Wears Prada” all over the place.

I’m adjusting to this new environment, and to a new lifestyle. I don’t work late (yet), I never bring my work home with me (yet), and, for the most part, my new boss is something of a neurotic bitch, but I can deal with her (So far).

With this spring came a lot of new things. And a marvelous spring it was. Here are some shots of Central Park, which I’ve been running in daily now and this spring seems grander then ever.





(Met in the background)



(Random place near the East Side)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?