Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I’m not sure what it is. Perhaps some sort of bizarre mid-life crisis, complete boredom, or the realization that the pleasure I get out of life is pretty much going to be though “stuff”, or maybe something less profound. Nonetheless, my friends note a fairly substantial updating in the things in my life.

It probably started out this year with basic cable, or probably an iPod, and then it was upgraded to having a premium channel, HBO, and now Showtime. This gradually led itself to the purchase of digital radio. And with the departure of a hard-core Manhattan job where I was on-call 24/7 with something more civilized, I realized I had no well-functioning computer in my house (they took it back): I bought a laptop. And with digital technology, a bought large (by my standards) flat screen TV over the weekend. I even bought a Razor phone some time back.

One would think I were listening to Howard Stern, watching The Sopranos, and watching Planet Earth in HD and walking down Madison Ave with earplus in and listening to The Chemical Brothers. Nope.

I’ve basically purchased satellite radio to listen to music – much over 100 years old – from the Metropolitan Opera’s new station; tuned into nothing more than Rome and The Tudors, a show about people that lived between 400 to 2000 years ago; wanted to watch performances of opera on PBS and CUNY, and listen to more skipping during my daily jog.

However late, the message to me was clear: The world has moved on and you have not! When the stogy, old world of opera moves into areas I cannot access, I am – as my friends call me – a luddite.

Let the world note that I am on the main line.

Comments:
You're a buttwad.

Woo hoo! I'm drunk...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?