Tuesday, May 15, 2007

exhale

Starting this new felt less like a transition and more like my first civilian job, after being a POW for years. Vietnam is now over and I can rest assured that there will be no more meetings where blackberry are being thrown across tables in frustration, people will not be threatening to “serve my head up on a platter”, grossly incompetent managers, working until 3am on Thanksgiving day: In short, it’s back to divination. For god’s sake, I don’t even have a laptop or blackberry!

For as bad as they were, the conditions, personalities, problems, and poor management of my last company has given me a confidence I never had. Will I ever deal with such egos? No. Will I have meetings as bad as those? Doubtfully. Will I hate my boss as passionately as I hated my others? I can’t imagine. This place, despite being bigger by a factor of ten, seems like a puppy dog, small time, almost naïve to the big bad world out there.

And after having a week off to go through Central Park and soak in the weather, buy new clothes, and wring out the toxic residual, my first days at work have been great.

---
Gotta squeeze this in. . .

During my time off I also saw Puccini’s “Il Trittico”, which was un-freggin-believeable. Suor Angelica was so moving. How can you go wrong with Romantic music telling the story of a woman sent to a convent for having a baby out of wedlock, the baby dies, and she kills herself? Man, I thought I had problems.

My final moments at IRMC

Comments:
You do have problems. Rest assurred.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?