Monday, April 02, 2007

So the week began with my Mother coming in on Tuesday night. We went out to dinner at a good French restaurant and capped it off with two bottles of wine. Not getting to bed until after 1am, I drug my ass out of bed for a 4 hour interview with one of the biggest pension funds in the world in their quantitative analysis department.

The following night my dad came in and we saw Andrea Chenier at the Metropolitan Opera. With with Violetta Urmana effortlessly singing the killer aria “La Mamma Morta” (they killed my mother) it was a fine evening at the opera, indeed.

Friday morning I called the fund and asked how things went. They responded with a verbal job offer. Oh my God! Ecstatic about it, I told them I had to think about it. . . you have to play hard-to-get in corporate America, you see. But it seems like a great opportunity.

That night I went to the season premier of Turandot, Puccini’s last and most grand opera. It was marvelous. Andrea Gruber belted out the wicked princess’s role with determination and Hei Kyng Hong sang the sweaping melodies of Liu with effortless beauty. At its bittersweet end, the confetti literally fell on the principals of what was a great day at the opera.

I think I’m going to take the job. I want something in writing before I tell my current employer, se we’ll see.

“Give me free!”


The Met's production of "Turandot"
$400,000,000,000
Four hundred billion dollars.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?