Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ah, springtime in New York. I met up with some friends attending a conference in Times Square, went to Chelsea for a vegan lunch, then went out for a nice walk and attended a street fair. We soaked in the glorious spring weather and had a drink in the Marquis’s bar overlooking Times Square before I headed back to my place.

To further enjoy the day, I decided to go for a run. Not knowing if it was the perfectly cool weather or just having had a nice lunch, the run felt great and I picked up speed. Soaring around the Onassis reservoir, peering at the majestic buildings on the Upper West Side and admiring the many flowering trees I deviated slightly off the path to avoid a puddle.

I’m not sure what exactly it was that did it. But all of a sudden it seemed like my feet flew out from under me. I went flying face-first onto the ground in what seemed like slow motion. I watched my glasses fly off my face as my body soared through the air and onto the ground.

I’m not sure if the fall or the embarrassment hurt more. But there I was, bloody, dirty, and trying to collect myself in a sea of exercising New Yorkers and tourists; thank God for the indifference of my fellow man to tragedy (not a single blinked). As I brushed myself off I came to the realization that I was still pretty far from home and had to continue the run in my current state. So, looking like a homeless person that crawled out from under the Brooklyn Bridge, I continued the run.

When I finally got home I started the painful process of cleaning the dirt and pebbles out of my wounds. It was the perfect end to the perfect day.

It’s time for a glass of wine.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?