Monday, February 19, 2007

It goes without saying that my relationship with the company I work with has soured. This place is long on talk and short action, and I’ve been a major contributor to the degradation in morale this year.

After what I view as triumphs, getting people around to what the major problems are, what they cost us, and how to fix them, I now know that they fundamentally don’t get it. . . Thugs are still implementing “people problems”, anecdotes supersede good analytics, and more value is placed on managers then those solving problems and giving real answers. They cannot distinguish a complex problem from a difficult problem -- why America fails in the sciences. In short, it’s business as usual in the despicable caverns of corporate America. And those that are solving the simple problems quickly seem to be getting all the recognition. I’m in the wrong business.

So I’ve made a decision to investigate alternate place of employment. I contacted a head hunter, have been talking to my old employers, and am in search of companies who want real answers, not bull shit that confirms their course of action. And seeing my acute chance in work ethos, my company asked me what was wrong. I spoke of their lack of recognition of my efforts with a salary increase, and the overall inequity of their policies. Today they gave me more money.

Is it enough to change my decision to move? No. (They’ll just be paying me more while I look for a better job.)

I know what, almost certainly, what led to this gesture. . .

Someone recruited to us recently, and a high caliber person, has just quit after only one month. I encouraged it. I have also actively discouraged new hires from entering the company. Knowing that the low morale and turnover will retard their goals for the year, they threw as little money as possible at me. And its all simply too little, too late. I’d done.

So we’ll see what happens. There are a number of possibilities, but am not sure what will pan out, if anything.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?