Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I’m feeling I’m falling further and further out of touch with people lately. I rarely speak to friends from back home, am horrible about getting back to people when they call, and when I do all I want to do is get the Reader’s Digest version. . . “Yea, that’s great. Do you want to go out for a drink?” Imagine my embarrassment when I was told their dog just died. “Oh, sorry. Yea, I’m insensitive, yea, but shit; I got problems of my own.”

Speaking of which, I seem to have gotten the mouse situation under control. After my rodent genocide, having carpenters come in to fill holes and put in new wall board, a massive poisoning of the walls, threatening letters to my landlord, etc., etc., I can say that it seems – for the time being – are under control. Not a sign for quite some time now.

But what threw me over the edge was a letter from my landlord explaining “offering” a lease renewal AND AN INCREASED RENT. You can imagine my reaction: LIVID. I believe the words “slap across the face” and “absurd” were used a number of times in my subsequent conversations with them.

But all is peaceful now. I think.

Had some houseguests last weekend. . . someone I went to Georgetown with. He happened to have brought his girlfriend (incidentally, my old TA) Olena with him. So it was a painful trip down memory lane before finally heading downtown to a fusion Sushi-Brazilian restaurant, then to Rose’s Turn.

Now I drink. All of you know that. So when I tell you I have no idea how much I had that night, you know even I was in rare form. We stayed out until 5am. It was an act of God that got us home in one piece.

Saturday was a wash. I didn’t leave the apartment.

Summer in the city. God help

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?