Thursday, July 13, 2006

I have to say that work is really something else. I’ve not been blogging about it because the situation there has bordered on the absurd for so long that it’s difficult for even me to believe.

For the most part, the universe of this company revolves around the CEO, the one who hired, me and all his eccentric tendencies. For example, I found that we have a major recruiting problem by looking at attrition rates immediately after hire and suggested the solution of an “emotional” test to identify if people are cut out for our harsh environment and the collections business. So I brought in a bunch of existing EQ tests to his office.

Me: Here are the leading EQ tests that exist today that we can purchase for our exam.

He begins to leave through the pages of questions without saying a word to me. Finally he breaks the silence:

Him: “Matt, have you ever gotten a bouquet from a European florist?”

I being to answer before being immediately cut off (and realizing it was a rhetorical question).

Me: “Actually, I. . . .”

Him (interrupting): “Let me tell you what the flowers are like. There hundreds of flowers, dozens of varieties, shades. They are large and varied.”

Me: “Okay, um. . . “

Him (interrupting): “Have you ever gotten a bouquet from a Japanese florist?”

Me: “Well, um. . . “

Him (interrupting): “There is no such thing as a bouquet in Japan. Because there’s only one fucking flower. The perfect flower. Find me the Japanese solution!”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Him: “Give me that one fucking question that opens to key to their soul; one fucking question.”


A low-pressure job, that’s what I love about working in New York.

Dear God, what happened to my nice cushy government job.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?