Friday, June 02, 2006

Superlatives have been overused these days. Every time you turn on the television the words “Fantastic”, “Devistation”, “Best”, “Incredible”, “Idol” are thrown around to such an extent that the words have virtually lost meaning. I’ve never met someone in New York that wasn’t “Brilliant” – give me a break. But let me tell you when I describe the last couple of days as grueling, I mean it in every sense of the word.

You see, I’m in Charleston and have been here since Wednesday night (actually Thursday morning, if you count). The only reason I’m here is that I’ve somehow been made “business owner” of a large technology project to streamline people management processes. So I’ve been working with the CEO and a team of consultants to build out this suite of software.

What does this have to do with Charleston? Absolutely nothing.

Nothing except that getting time to spend with the CEO to discuss this project has been difficult. So he invited us to join him on his trip to Charleston and have a meeting on the Plane here and back. And here I am.

When we left on Wednesday night we were delayed 4 hours. Add to that the two hours on the plane and we basically covered everything we needed to cover for the trip. So I spend some more time with him yesterday talking about HR issues in our call center here before leaving for the airport last night. We waited for about three hours and finally the flight was cancelled.

So last night we continued to work at the hotel, sleep deprived from getting in at 1am the night before and with a sick, crabby CEO. So this morning we drug our asses out of bed to make our morning 7am flight only to find it cancelled and to discover that the next flight out wasn’t until noon. So here I sit with Vijay (our consutltant) eating stale Twinkies in the airport for the next four hours. The glamour of corporate America.

“There’s no place like home.”

I’m clicking my heels together and nothing is fuckin’ happening, people.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?