Wednesday, July 06, 2005

On a flight to my parents’ or the Fourth of July weekend. So I’m trapped on a four hour flight to L.A. where I catch another flight to Fresno, then off to take another flight to Coarsegold.

It’s aesthetically beautiful, I should not complain. They have a home larger than five of my apartments on a 10- acre lot and a view of the mountains. But without nothing but my parents’ car to get you from place to place, and nowhere to go but the local watering hole here, it is oddly ironic that I find it so confining.

But of course the point of the trip isn’t to go to an exciting place, it’s to see the parents. This weekend we have much to discuss; the possibility of having a child, why the world is the way it is, politics. But the reality is that we’re probably going to get wasted listening to music around the fire in the backyard.

It’s been since Christmas since I’ve seen them over there. And as much as I feel tortured by being away from home on my third day there, I am oddly excited to see them every time. . . they are, I have to admit, very cool.

- - - -

What else is going on? Absolutely nothing. I’ve been trying to amuse myself with going out and meeting people, spending a lot of money on new opera recording and DVDs. (I’m finding myself doing a lot of work that involves a lot of solo time with little human interaction – so I’ve been listening to this on-line vocal station that has exposed me to a lot more singers and performers. And I’ve bought their recordings.)

Right now I’ve ventured into Opera Seria. 250 years ago when Mozart composed his first operas the prima donnas dominated music composition. The result was, as you can imagine, a lot of music, little of which having historical “legs”. Performed now are almost only Mozart’s, which – though conforming to the opera seria style – were brilliant.

As if you care. What the hell can I say? I’m on a plane and don’t want to watch the lame “audio feature”, Miss Congeniality 2.

- - - - -

On another note, you wouldn’t know from this blog that I’ve started a new job. Why so mum on the new job?

Hmmmmm. . . The people I work with are not perfect, have their complexities and idiosyncrasies, at the end of the day – and I never thought I would say this – I really don’t give a shit. Work is just a means to an end now.

Yet another digression . . .

And how of the new life in Chicago? That’s the more interesting topic. Generally speaking, I’m glad to see old friends -- coming back was a great reunion. But old friends have moved on and I can’t help but think that if I moved here for the first time now, I would not have these friends. We’re all in different places. Moving back here has made me feel, well, dated.

So I miss New York big time for other reasons – I miss the culture and, thought I never thought I would say this, Rob. I guess I’m just a snob, fickle, and will probably never be happy anywhere.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?